Oh, yet another banana bread, only looking slightly more handsome? Nope, wrong. Only without bananas, not a bread and actually delicious. And nutritious – Steffi named this bread during our first Adventure Race when we both liked it a lot and it earned its place on my packing list.
- 4 eggs from the fridge (seperate, beat egg whites and put aside for later)
- 40g powdered sugar
- 40g brown sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon honey (preferably liquid)
- 1 pinch cardamom, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamom
- juice of half a lemon (or less)
- 1 handful “side” (something tasty to throw in cakes and enjoy. Already tested are disdainful raisins or a mix of cashews and dried cranberries)
Beat egg yolks and sugar until you got a light, creamy mass. Then add the other stuff, maybe chop the “side” first (when you use big nuts or anything like that). When finished, gently fold the beaten egg whites in. Prepare a springform pan (diameter 26cm) with butter and farina and bake in a pre-heated oven for about 25min at 175°C (top/bottom heat), more at the bottom (cover with baking paper if surface gets too dark).
I mommy visits for tea you can sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar after cooling. If mommy does not visit and there’s a long endurance challenge instead, cut the complete cake in pieces and put them all in your backpack. Then, rejoice a whole day over having something way better than energy bars and gels.